- don’t look people straight in the eye — it’s rude
- change into a different pair of slippers before entering into someone’s bathroom
- carry baby wipes or handkerchief for washing hands in public bathrooms
- have lots of business cards handy and let the other person hand theirs to you first to avoid rudeness
- bow, only slightly, when meeting someone
Tag Archives: Metro Detroit
I still can’t believe it!! In only five weeks, I’m heading to Japan for a homestay with a Japanese family, sightseeing in Tokyo, Toyota City, Hiroshima and Kyoto and teaching English to fifth and sixth graders. It’s part of the International Educators to Japan program, as explained in a previous post.
In preparation for my visit, I’m learning about the Japanese culture and a little of the language. Fortunately, many friends and family have been to Japan and have advice for me. Here are just a handful of their interesting tips:
In anticipation of my trip, I’ve posted some Japanese pictures on Pinterest of the places I’ll visit. It all looks so beautiful, but believe it or not, what I look forward to the most is meeting the Japanese people and embracing their culture. My brother-in-law lives there so I’ll be meeting up with him. Also, one of my ELL students will be there during my visit and I plan to see him and his family.
I feel so honored to be chosen for this Japanese adventure. I’m the only one from my entire school district and one of eight participants coming from Metro Detroit.
The countdown begins today! Woohoo!